A Simons Collaboration in MPS should address a mathematical or theoretical topic of fundamental scientific importance, where a significant new development creates a novel area for exploration or provides a new direction for progress in an established field. The questions addressed by the Simons Collaboration may be concrete or conceptual, but there should be little doubt that answering these would constitute a major scientific milestone.
The project should involve outstanding researchers with a range of career stages. Excellence of the scientific leadership is one of the main criteria in the selection process. The project should be organized and managed in a manner engendering a high level of collaboration.
A Simons Collaboration is budgeted at up to $2,500,000 per year, for an initial period of four years. After a review in year three, when the scientific impact of the Collaboration will be evaluated, an extension of three additional years may be granted. The foundation expects to make up to two awards in 2017.
- Applications available July 1, 2016
- LOI due by October 3, 2016
- LOI Notification by December 31, 2016
- Full Proposal Deadline by February 28, 2017
- Award Notification by July 1, 2017
For More Information
- See the Simons Foundation Simons Collaborations in Mathematics and the Physical Sciences website.
- All questions be directed to Susan Roche at 404-894-8022 or email@example.com.