Georgia Institute of Technology Research Faculty Teaching Fellows Program
Institute Contact: Gail Spatt, 404.385.8334 or firstname.lastname@example.org
I've received multiple inquiries from applicants who are having trouble obtaining signatures due to this week's storm, and I think we all need an extra day or two to catch our breath. I'd like to have these ASAP but no later than next Friday, February 7. That's a significant extension so absolutely no applications will be accepted after that time.
Hope you and yours were safe and warm this week.
In order to enhance the interaction across the Institute’s teaching and research activities, the Office of the Executive Vice President for Research (EVPR) announces the FY2015 Research Faculty Teaching Fellows Program. This program seeks to leverage the expertise in cutting-edge research programs into instructional programs that enhance the teaching missions in the academic units.
The Research Faculty Teaching Fellows Program provides opportunities for research faculty who work outside of the academic units (e.g., GTRI, EI2, OIT, and Centers reporting to the EVPR) to participate in academic unit instructional and related programs. The program provides resources for partial coverage of salaries and fringe benefits, but does not cover indirect costs. Fellows receive a maximum of 25% salary support per three-unit course per semester for: preparation, instructional effort, and student/academic unit interactions. Please note that additional funding from the teaching unit may be required. Additionally, priority will be given to proposals from research faculty who are:
- Seeking initial teaching experience and/or
- Offering new, innovative courses based upon their unique expertise
The objectives of the Research Faculty Teaching Fellows Program are to:
1. Strengthen the relationships and encourage an on-going collaboration between academic faculty and research faculty who are outside of the academic units.
2. Enhance the educational experiences of undergraduate and graduate students.
3. Supplement and complement the scholarly expertise within the academic units with the research faculty’s expertise through:
- Development of new, advanced undergraduate or graduate level courses that bring cutting-edge research concepts into the classroom, or
- Enhancement of existing, advanced undergraduate or graduate level courses with cutting-edge research concepts, or
- Participation in other instructional related activities as approved by the academic unit.
4. Allow for short-term expansion of instructional staff in the academic units for routing teaching requirements; however, such cases will require demonstration of exceptional need by the academic units.
Research faculty who participate in this program are expected to become involved in other activities that would be appropriate for the academic unit in which they are teaching. Such activities may include: maintaining office hours outside of the classroom for student consultation; serving on committees; advising students; development team-taught courses; and collaborating on proposals for instructional and/or research projects.
Applications should be submitted via T-Square by March 15, 2013. Awards will be announced by May 1, 2013. Submission instructions:
- Log on to http://www.tsquare.gatech.edu
- Under the "My Workspace" tab, click on the "Membership" sidebar.
- Click on "Joinable Sites" and join "Res Fac Teach Fellow."
- Submit your paperwork as one pdf using the Drop Box tool.
- Direct any questions to: email@example.com
(If you have submitted an application in the past, you will already have access to the site and can skip steps 1-3.)
Proposals should include the following items and be prepared using the attached form:
- Name(s) of the research faculty to be involved. If multiple faculty members will share the teaching responsibilities, indicate what percentage of the class will be taught by each.
- Brief description of the instructional effort. Include: the academic unit, names of any academic faculty to be involved, course title, and number.
- Brief explanation of how this proposed effort meets the objective for the Research Faculty Teaching Fellows Program (items 1-4 under Program Objectives).
- Exact amount of funding requested from the program and description of any funding anticipated from the academic unit in support of the effort.
- A list of the courses previously taught under the Research Faculty Teaching Fellows Program during the past three years.
- Recommendation signatures of the host School Chair and of the Director of the research faculty member’s home unit.
- For faculty who have previously taught under this program, CIOS scores from the relevant classes (please attach to pdf).